Out of Raisins?

Oatmeal cookies: those chewy little devils always calling you from betwixt the pages of the finger warn cookbook. You know you shouldn’t, you try to resist. But sometimes the pressure it simply too much.

I have never made a perfect one until I made these last night. The biggest problem for me is the butter content, they always turn out flat and crispy instead of soft chewy little mounds that everyone else seems to be able to make. Maybe I am heavy handed with the butter, but I can never use the amount they list on any recipe I have ever tried for these little guys.

This recipe is perfect, not too much butter and they keep their shape when baking. Make sure not to cook them too long or you will loose the chewy texture that makes the oatmeal cookie what it is!

Oatmeal Spice Cookies (keep in mind this makes a lot of cookies!)

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 ¾ cups flour
3 cups oatmeal
1 tsp salt
2 drops vanilla essence, or 2 teaspoons powdered vanilla
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons cinnamon
¼ nutmeg
¼ ginger

Cream together the butter and sugars, then slowly mix in your eggs, one at a time.

Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and spices and mix with the liquids. Add the oatmeal. I dare you not to try the mixture. Mmm mmm mmm!

Bake at 350 for about ten minutes. Don’t over bake!

EAT!

8 comments:

Shauna said...

These look beautiful. Lovely cookies and photographs.

Thanks for your comment about my site on WellFed. And you grew up on Vashon? I used to teach at Vashon High School. Mrs. Woodard and I invented American Studies. Did you take that?

Lovely site!

Katy said...

Yes I did grow up on vashon, I graduated in 2001, I took American Studies with Mrs Woodard she is a total sweetie. I absolutely adore her, she was teaching it with Harris Levinson when I took it. Small world!

I am glad you like my site, yours is fabulous it is wonderful that you won, you totally deserved it. :)

it was really funny that you are in teaching, I am going to start my masters in education when I get back from Argentina. I am very excited to start!

The UNvirgin Mary said...

Oh god... Im drooling at my desk looking at these!!! Katy I love this site! What a coincidence about Shauna (above, Ms. Woodard and American Studies! You're right, it is a small world! Oh by the way, Adam just made this wonderful Russian dish! I forgot what they're called, but let me know if you're interested. They're basically rice, onion, garlic, ground meat (your choice) all mixed and mushed together inside cabage leaves (that have been slightly boiled) and basted in tomato sauce. Baked for awhile and then topped off with sour cream! They taste much better than they sound. I know youre mostly into baking, but if you want any delicious and unique dinner ideas let me know. Adam has a lot!

Katy said...

That does sound good Angie. I am not mostly into baking it just happens that those are the things I have been writing about. (Other than Surubi) The next few things I have in mind to write about are moving on to other dishes. Thanks for your input though I always love ideas. :)

Sarah said...

Thank you very much I am going to try this recipe. I have been craving oatmeal raison cookies! I can add raisons to your recipe no doubt! Mum

Tania said...

I love your warning -- "Keep in mind this makes a lot of cookies!" That's just as it should be for deliciously chewy, spicy, oatmealy morsels!

Katy said...

Thanks Tania! I agree :)

skrockodile said...

this is my husband's (aka the cookie monster) favorite cookie - I must try!