This Mus Sugar: The Swedish Pancake

I have a terrible memory, something everyone of my family and friends and happily attest to; that is, with the exception of anything evolving food.

An example: when I was young my parents took me to England- my Mum is from Birmingham and all of her family is there so we went for a visit. From this particular trip my younger sister has many memories of people and places mine from this trip are: Cadbury chocolate buttons, thick cut ham where you pull the fat off the edge before you eat it, thicker, creamer milk, and the gummy worms my ingenious father pulled from his carry-on bag half-way through the flight to calm his wiggly children.

When it comes to food, I can recall images, scents, textures, colors like I can’t in any other area and for me the clearest of all such childhood glories, is the pancake. Not just any pancake. The crepe-like, buttery, crispy and always pleasing Swedish pancake.


My sister wrote down the recipe from memory for me when she was about 6, it had been hanging framed against yellow and blue construction paper in my room for years. Swedish pancakes for me mean childhood.

Swedish pancakes are more like a crepe that the fluffy pancakes one might get at a restaurant there in the states. The batter should be milky and runny and by rotating a hot pan, you should be able to cover the entire bottom in one motion. Here is the recipe, guaranteed to please adults and kids alike:


Swedish Pancakes:

1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk

cook in a frying pan with a pat of melted butter. You will have to experiment with cooking times, heats, and thickness of your pancake to see which you like the best. I like them see-though thin and crispy around the edges. I have known people (teenage boys anyway) to be able to eat up to 20 of them in one sitting.

I always eat them flat down on the plate, though you can fold them into a wedge or roll them up. Try them topped with lemon juice and sugar, butter, ricotta and fruit, nutella, jam, or my fiancĂ©’s favorite dulce de leche.

Enjoy!

pancake images used with permision: image 415

4 comments:

Tea said...

This recipe card is precious! How wonderful that you held onto it for all these years. I have a few old recipes in my loopy little kid handwriting as well. They always give me a laugh.

Katy said...

Thank you, yes the recipe card as so much more meaning since she wrote it when she was so young- even though I left the real copy at home I printed a scanned image to bring along with me to Argentina where it lives on my fridge. :)

Megan said...

Katy. I had Swedish pancakes in Sweden.
And indeed, the ones we make taste Swedish. Although they prepare them a bit different.
They place whipping cream in the middle, along with strawberries, mix it together, and roll it all up. I think they whip the batter, because it had a more airy/fluffy texture in it.

Blonde said...

I'm Swedish, and yes, we do indeed whisk our batter quite heavily, and then let it sit in the fridge a while before frying. Also, my granny used a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar!
And I might add, i have NEVER come across a pancake with berries - just jam!