The Cure for a Stiff Neck


Ouch. I don't know what I did but yesterday I woke up with pain. Perhaps all the stress of cooking (ha ha) or the heat has finally taken its toll but I spent the day in bed watching made-for-TV movies with an icepack attached to the side of my neck. This also mean one of my favorite things, being taken care of.

Since my poor boyfriend spend all day yesterday bringing me things in bed and watching hopelessly bad TV, I thought it was time for a reward. No not that. Crumble.

I grew up in an farm house on a small island in the Puget Sound, the house was on 6 acres of land and dotted with blackberries, rhubarb, pear trees (where the pear picture above was taken), apple trees, even a peach tree. The first fruit off of the land was always transformed into a crumble in my mums creamy white casserole dishes. My Mum is not exactly the family chef, but this was her signature dish & the herald of the coming spring. This recipe, however, was inspired more by the fruit in season here in Argentina than by anything spawned from the Pacific Northwest, but it is a treat all the same.

And great for breakfast with a little Greek yogurt.



Pear and Nectarine Crumble:

1 1/2 pounds of sliced nectarines
3 ripe pears, sliced
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
The juice of one little lemon

Preheat oven to 350. Put all of your sliced fruit in a large bowl, add the sugar, flour, cornstarch and lemon juice and mix well until all your slices are nicely coated. The flour and cornstarch help to thicken the juice, so you don't end up with crumble-soup. Pour the fruit into a casserole dish while you make the crumble topping.

Crumble Topping:
1 cube of butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups oats

Mix together the flour, sugar and butter until it is the consistency of breadcrumbs. Add the oats, and pour onto the fruit forming a thin layer all the way across your dish. Put your crumble in the oven for about 40-50 minutes until the fruit juice bubbles and the top of your crumble has turned a golden brown. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.

8 comments:

kitchenmage said...

That looks really good...and I love that you eat it for breakfast.

Jenny said...

Katy, this looks really delicious. I love that it isn't packed with fat and excess calories. Great idea to have it for breakfast. Oh and thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope you're feeling better soon. :)

Sarah said...

It IS very good! Mum

The UNvirgin Mary said...

Hey hun, that looks so good! I so miss really good baked goods around here. Japanese baking really leaves a lot to be desired... rather frustrating but safer for my figure i suppose... On that note with you cooking so many deliciously scrumptious foods, i worry about the fate of your future children....!!

Katy said...

Kitchenmage, Thanks. It may sound strange but really for breakfast it is fabulous, there is nothing like waking up in the morning knowing that you have a lovely crumble waiting there in the fridge for you.

Jenny, yes as deserts go it is pretty healthy and I am feeling better now thanks :)

Mum- you are very cute I love you.

Angie- I am sorry that japanese baking isn't so wonderful. I am a bit surprised that I am not about 300 pounds by now but it probably helps that I eat salad and a lot of stirfry in between my baking (for the good of my blog you know). I wouldnt mind some little round faced fatty kids anyway. hahaha. I hope you are having a good time in Japan and I miss you!

Jenny said...

Hi again, thank for linking to my blog. I've added yours to mine. :)

Melissa CookingDiva said...

Dear Katy, Hola from Panama!
I just discovered your blog, and I am really happy because as far as I know you are the only food blog in Corrientes, Argentina. Am I right, or ...?
I'll be back soon. Hugs,
M

Katy said...

Hello Melissa!
As far as I know I am the only food blogger from here, at least the only one in english! I am glad seeing my blog made you happy :) I have just been reading your site and I really enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by.

Besos,
Katy