An Apology and a Few Cookies

Oatmeal Coconut Cookies

I am so sorry darling readers! Normally here in Argentina everything can be fixed with a little duct tape and a few wires, but there still comes a point when it is time to just let go. My poor laptop has been in and out of the fix it shop more times than I can count, it wouldn't normally be an issue but as a lone gringa in a foreign country I like to try to stay connected to my family back home, look up the odd knitting pattern and of course read (and write) about my cooking passion.

Last week I could take no more, the intermittent working of my laptop had gotten to me and I made the mighty decision to move on with my life and have Santiago build me a computer. Yes, that is right, build. His brother had some of the parts(which he had left for the youngest brother to hang from his bedroom wall), and others (such as the lovely 17 inch monitor) I had to purchase new. The computer is shoved inside a case that doesn't quite fix which leaves the power source sitting on top (or so I am told, I wouldn't be able to identify these parts if my life depended on it, which is why it is so very nice to have someone around the house that is so hand.

While all of this computer fixing was going on I was jetting around the city with another one of Santiago's brothers handing out my resume. I even already got a job, well a part time job anyway, as a substitute teacher about 30 minutes (walking of course) from our apartment. I am teaching English to a lively bunch of 11 year old girls and having a blast, I am sure the next few weeks will blaze by!

What all of this means is I was very heavily in debt, to brother one for the parts, brother 2 for letting me remove his wall decor, and brother 3 for driving me all over the place. This means serious business.

Cookies.

They all love plain old chocolate chip, which is fabulous but not something I would write home about (ha ha ha)
besides the old standby (which by the way I get from the joy of cooking, and add a ton more flour) I made snickerdoodles and oatmeal coconut. I was surprised that the oatmeal coconut ones came out super tasty, I made up the recipe just throwing things in so I would never be able to remember it or recreate it (but if you would like to try, I basically just used my oatmeal cookie recipe sans spices, a little less flour and about 1/2 cup of coconut), but the snickerdoodles I can and certainly will share!



Snickerdoodles

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream together the sugar, butter and then add the eggs one at a time. Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt and add those to your wet ingredients. Mix together, and grease a baking sheet then form small balls, the size you want your cookies to be. Roll these in a mixture of 2 tablespoons of sugar with 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, and place them on the baking sheet a few inches apart. Take out the cookies while they are golden but still soft, between 8-10 minutes.

3 comments:

Tania said...

I am a big fan of oatmeal coconut cookies, especially right out of the oven. I do love how plump and chewy they look in that tempting photo. Yum!

I can't imagine how your "frankenstein" computer must look, but I'm glad it's keeping you blogging!

Rorie said...

Cookies --- yum.

Katy said...

my frankenstein computer hmm? well let me take a picture, Tania!

Hi Rorie!!! You are so funny!