Mmmm Meaty!

Farm House in Chaco

I honestly cannot say that I know a whole heck of a lot about surgical practices in the United States. I have only once been operated on, and that was in a dentists office. My experience in Argentina however, has been growing as of late. My fiance's father is part owner of a hospital in the neighboring town, and also a surgeon. This means two very important things, the first being no need for health insurance for me, and the second, presents.

Doctors here are paid. Please don't think that here they pay for the removal of an unwanted limb in chicken eggs and honey, but gift-giving by thankful and newly-healthy patients is common. When I got rid of my very annoying tonsils a few months ago with the help of a surgeon, an anesthesiologist, and my very wide-eyed fiance who as a med student himself insisted on watching. The very first thing I did once I was on my feet was deliver cases of wine to say thank you. I am so polite, I know.

The wonderful thing about Argentina though, is the farms. Farming in Argentina is a very noble and lucrative profession, and lots and lots of people here have their own farms (those who don't live in the city anyway). This means lots of great food related gifts, and with all that surplus yum at Dr & Mrs Juarez place, those gifts are handed down to us.

The first of such gifts was a beautiful, not quite cured, home-made salami. As a vegetarian for most of my life most things meat are slightly mystical to me, but this salami was breathtaking. If there is anything that is bound to bring a smile to a young girl's face after all, it is dried meat. It sat hanging in all it's glory from my kitchen cupboard waiting for me while it finished curing (once it lost its squishiness and turned a bit hard).

I would have cooked with it, I was thinking all week of a nice recipe to stick it in so that I could pass it on to my readers, honestly, but I am a selfish brute, if a polite one, and I gobbled the whole thing down the moment it was ready in a picado, a tray of little bits eaten before a meal- here. Normally a picado includes olives, cubes of cheese, and of course, being Argentina, cured meat, the perfect little nibble-tray for your next bbq!

4 comments:

http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com said...

Wow, I hope once we've established ourselves in Buenos Aires that someone brings us fresh sausage too!!!

p.s. thanks for checking out my blog. I'm going to follow yours now too.

Bunny said...

oOoh~ Now I have the biggest craving for some beef jerky or something (although I'm sure it's not quite comparable to the homemade salami)
Your crumble looks delicious! If only my boyfriend would appreciate the satiating quality of warm fruity desserts...

Oh and thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog! Hmmm... I felt the marshmallows didn't get as much flavor from the candies as I had expected, but the colors were adorable.

ms.proust said...

Hi Katy,

So do you plan on settling permanently in Argentina? Free sausage is a nice perk!

I'm so glad to be free of my meat-fearing days. While my husband is off to dinner with clients at the Barking Frog, I think I'll whip up some fajitas with all the marinated meat I scored at one of the many carniceria's near my new 'hood in the southend.

But I think I shall have to whip up some Milanesa soon. There's plenty of recipes for this in my Spanish cookbooks at home... I'll have to see if they differ from the South American version.

Katy said...

I will be here for another 1 1/2-2 years, once my fiance is done with his medical school we will be moving back to the states, hopefully back to the pacific northwest but it all depends on where he can get his residency. Fajitas sound wonderful- I have been slacking off a bit in the mexican food area because Santiago always wants me to make tortillas and I am lazy!