The Simple Things

Ah. Today has been a relaxing kind of day. My fiance spent until 2 am last night fixing this laptop so that I could get back to business, and I have a weeks worth of new recipes to post, but they are going to have to wait. Today I am being lazy. Last week I finished my knit baby blanket, and a purse, and now feeling truly accomplished and productive and thus ready for a day off. So even though I promise I have some nice tid bits all lined up, today is a day to appreciate the simple things in life.

That means: few ingredients, short times in the kitchen and many pots of tea.

I haven't even got the energy to write about the humidity, which has risen to a record levels here and brought with it a monster supply of mosquitoes and flies. I will however share with you a nice lazy sort of meal that doesn't comprise taste, as I swat a few bugs.

Today for lunch it was bread with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and sea salt. I don't know what the history of this is, or why people do it, but it tastes fabulous. All you do is take some nice crusty bread and cut it into slices and then mix the vinegar, oil and salt to taste on a little plate and then dip in your bread. I think I ate about 1/2 a loaf, but we won't go there.

I suppose I did make the bread, but it was a very nice lazy sort of loaf- my all purpose sort of bread. I don't even measure for this baby but here is an idea. (Pictured above with some oil and vineger about to get into my belly.

Too Easy To Mess Up Bread

1 package of yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup warm water

mix these all together and leave them to sit for 5 minutes until the yeast is all fuzzy. Then add

4 cups flour
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon oil

Mix mix mix, you are going to have to add either more flour or more water, or more something because that is just the way bread goes, kneed it for about 10 minutes until it feels like dough ought to feel, and then leave it to sit in a warm place for an hour, or until it has doubled. Then punch it down, kneed it again, and stick it on a greased baking sheet, in the form you want. Once it has doubled again, put it in the oven (about 350) until the top is golden brown and the bottom sounds hollow when tapped. If you want, about 5 minutes before you are ready to take it out, you can wash it over with egg (1 egg and a tablespoon of water mixed together) which will make the crust shiny and golden.

ah, that was a bit exhausting I must say!

But this one is easy! Not only that but it has a Spanish name which means it must be good.

Licuado de Pera (Pear Smoothie)

This will help to kill the heat, and put you in a good mood. Plus, it is heathly! And you can't beat that.

2 pears, sliced
1 tray of ice
1/2 a cup of water

Blend and drink!

Yes, that is all. So simple, so fresh, so yum. Sometimes life just isn't worth all that fuss. I think I will go take a nap...

4 comments:

Rorie said...

Sounds like a sweet and lazy day. I love good bread dipped in Extra-virgin olive oil & Balsamic - so simply delicious!

And I love your pear smoothie idea.

Anonymous said...

hi katy.i am alex[female,38] from greece -europe.i read your blog and i think its great.it s so alive.not only food ,but many things in one.i think is a new literature.i wish you the best and i wait your future posts.sorry for my simple english

Tania said...

Delicious! Sometimes the simplest treats are truly the most satisfying.

The pear smoothie sounds wonderfully refreshing. Many years ago, when I was in Mar del Plata with my family during a very hot November, I remember being in a little cafe and drinking a similar orange smoothie while my parents sipped icy cold beers. The smoothie was delicious, but I swear it only contained oranges, ice and water. Are these types of fruit drinks common in Argentina?

Katy said...

Thanks Rorie!

Alex, that is so sweet! Your english is like mozart to a girls ears, thank you so much for stopping by and for leaving your note, as someone used to learning foreign languages I know how hard it can be to leave notes when you are learning and I really apreciate your bravery and your kind words! I hope I will be hearing from you often!

Tania, Licuados are very common throughout latin america in mexico they have a great one with watermelon! Most people here add sugar though, I can't quite take all the sweetness though sometimes I do add a bit, just to bring out the flavor of the fruit if it isnt a very good one. Depending on the fruit they use water or milk, banana for example really goes best with milk, whereas pear and water go together. I hope you enjoyed your trip in Mar del plata, I would really love to go.