After School Banana Bread

Can I just say that I love my job? I started teaching English at a school close to my apartment here (30 minute walk), teaching a group of pre-teens. I have always been the teaching (aka bossy-know-it-all?) type and now I have dreams of lesson plans and story vocabulary instead of dreaming of ingredients (though I have to say I bought some of the most gorgeous basil in the history of all time yesterday, but other than that, it is all English-class, all the time).

But at 1:30 in the afternoon, walking home in the hot Argentine sun leaves my feet a little sore and my stomach a little rumbly. As much as I love cooking, thinking about cooking, reading about cooking, and shopping so I can cook, this is one of those times when I am not in a super 3-course meal kind of mood.

Banana bread is super fast, and it doesn´t take so much watching that I cant run off for a quick shower while it is in the oven.


After School Banana Bread

1/2 cup azucar negra
1/2 cup white sugar
(or just one cup of brown sugar will work for those not living in South America)
4 tablespoons of butter

3 large bananas, or 5 small ones (quite often the bananas here come finger sized)

1 egg
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Preheat the oven to 325. Cream together the butter and sugar, then mash in the bananas, I like to use a potato masher. Add the egg, then mix the dry ingredients together and then add them to the wet. Cook for about 55 minutes until golden brown and a knife inserted comes out clean.

Honestly? Who could possibly dislike working with these girls?! (Click on the pictures to see them larger). These are the girls of Kids 6- Fabiana, Juliana, Milagros, Ximena, Maria Clara, Victoria A., Victoria D.C, (Victoria F wasnt there that day), Angelica, Lucia & Agustina.



4 comments:

The UNvirgin Mary said...

axmwisTotally cute Katy!! Im glad you enjoy teaching, I think Id like it more if I could actually speak their native language. Anyway, I turn on Skype every morning and every morning youre not on!! I want to talk to you! When do you come online???

Vancouver Isle Doug said...

OK, I have a banana bread recipe that I got when I was like 12 or 13. I was staying the summer with some relatives and the wife made the bread on a regular basis and it was great, so I asked her to copy it and I still make it, like 30 years later! I will try this easy version and compare. Thanks!

Vancouver Isle Doug said...

Well, I tried your quick banana bread recipe this weekend and it is really good, and fast. I like my old standby too but this one will be added to my recipe collection, for when I am in a bit of a hurry, as far as mixing the batter goes. Thanks!!

Katy said...

Great! I am excited it worked out for you, I am interested to know what the more complex version is. I always thought of banana bread as one of those quintessential quick breads. Anyway, thanks for letting me know about your culinary adventures :)