I Love Soup


Yes, yes I do. So much so that I had to create a lovely little banner to show you all just how much.

While those readers in the world of the north are busy celebrating the newly emerging sun with shouts of glee and large piles of asparagus and steamy rhubarb crumble, we in the south are pulling on our coats and readying our soup pots.

I do not want to bother you all with more odes to soup, although my most preferred soup is a thick carrot and coriander brew, my preoccupation for orangy overdose paired with my lazy cooking style (i.e. not going to the veggie stand a whole 3 blocks away) led me to a pale shimmery soup, ready to make anyone´s mouth water.

Potato soup is probably the cheapest soup of all time to make. I normally make it with leeks, but as leeks are a little more difficult to find here than onions, so I decided to swap them out for the choice of the later.

This potato onion soup goes perfectly paired with a few slices of crusty crunchy garlic bread, and comes with a 100% money back guarantee to warm to you to the soul with potato goodness.

Potato and Onion Soup

5 large, peeled potatoes, cut into cubes
3 large onions, cut into chunks
a pat of butter
2 cups milk + more to add
salt and pepper to taste

First add the butter to the pot and throw in the onions and potatoes, cook until the onions are golden brown and see through, about 20 minutes on a low heat. Add the milk and cook on a low simmer until the potatoes are mashed potato soft, and starting to fall apart into the mix. Take your soup off the stove top to cook before blending, with an electric mixer or as I prefer, a blender. Blend thou roughly. Put back in the pot, and add additional milk until you get the desired consistency.

If you like your soup extremely thick, you can add 2 teaspoons of four in with the onions in the first stages of cooking.

Garlic Bread estilo Katy


I am extremely fussy when it comes to quite a lot of food, picky as a child and only worse with age, I shudder at the thought of limp, soggy garlic bread covered in chunks of bitter, undercooked garlic. Which is perhaps why I take the absolutely impossible to mess up garlic bread approach.

3 cloves of garlic
water for boiling
1 1/2 sticks of butter
salt

Boil the cloves of garlic, skin and all, in a small saucepan until they are shiny and very soft. Cut off one of the ends of the garlic to make a hole of the skin and squeeze the garlic middle into a bowl, do this with all the cloves. Add the butter and cream together along with the salt until the garlic has been thoroughly mixed into the butter. Spread on several pieces of french bread, and put into the oven to broil for 15 minutes, until golden brown.

6 comments:

The UNvirgin Mary said...

wow that looks good!! i really should stop looking at this page before lunch... just makes me hungrier! btw, how cold does it get there in the winter??

Kelvin said...

Kia Ora (Hello) from a krazy blogger down under in New Zealand. Great recipe/s - even a krazy person can follow. You have a reallt great blog. Can I mention it on my foodies blog ???

Katy said...

Of course you may kelvin, always nice to meet new, and especially, food loving people! Thank you for your sweet words.

Angie, it gets pretty cold, it never snows but it is so humid the cold wetness seeps into you! We havent gotten quite to that point yet.

Melissa CookingDiva said...

que deliciosa combinacion, la sopita y el pan de ajo! fantastico :)

Kathy, we would like to invite you to join us for the http://panamagourmet.blogs.com/cookingdiva/2006/04/the_farmers_mar.html
Hope you could do it :)
Hugs,
M

Sarah said...

I am very impressed with the little banner you created!

Katy said...

Gracias Melissa :)

Mum, Thanks! I am quite useful in editing clipart and coloring. Luckily I am generally a little better at cooking than I am at web design.