Save the Bones!

Remember that post about roast chicken? Well if you are thinking about making it there are a few important things to know about the after-clean up. If you are a smart person, which, of course you are as you are ready this extremely enlightening and highly entertaining blog, then you will know that the bones are among the most important parts of the chicken. Why? you ask? Because all food wizards ought to know that out of those cooked and parched looking bones, flows the most delicious of stocks that there ever ever was. Which brings me to my point:

And it is true, I adore soup, and I also like the chance to use my extremely useful and beautifully colored banner to decorate the blog for the festivities required by a lovely bowl of steamy soup. Not only that, but today I bring you not ONE, ladies and gentlemen, but two of my most beloved soup recipes.

Chicken Soup with Rice (you may want to watch Really Rosie while you make this soup)

So now, back to bones. Stick them in the fridge as you recover from your enormous meal of roast chicken and when you are ready, in the following day or two, pull out a large pot fill it with the bones and bits of left over skin and things you actually have, but no meat. If you have left over meat save this for later. Add water until it covers your carcass, and then through in a few veggies, onions, celery, carrots, whatever you like. I honestly just put in garlic and onions, no need to even chop, I cut the onion in half and take it out later.

So you let this cook for hours, until it stops looking so much like water, and starts to look more like stock, I would say at least 4 hours on a low simmer. This might sound terribly long and not worth the fuss but it is just sitting there on the stove, you don't have to stir it, you can read a book or garden or knit or whatever it is you like to do besides eat and cook.

Once this stock is ready I strain out the bones and add in the gravy from before, which has all the juices I took out when cooking the chicken (and lemon and garlic to boot). Then stick it in the fridge over night. If you don't have any gravy, add garlic, tarragon, and if you like a little lemon zest and perhaps a cube of bullion if you need to punch up the flavor.

What you should have the next day is a jelly-like goo mess with a load of white fat on top, yum! scrape off the fat, and the jelly I promise with turn back into soup. At this point I add some grated carrot, perhaps a bit of rice, and any chicken meat I have, shredded into small pieces. Cook this all up, just until it is warm and the rice is done and the carrot is soft, and your done.


Katy's Corn Chowder

Then, if you can´t quite deal with bones and over night and 4 hours of cooking, there is always corn chowder. A thing I discovered during my vegetarian years but have no adapted to meatiness with the addition of bacon bits, but this can be left out or substituted for the fake bacon you can find at just about every store, in Seattle at least, you are out of luck if you are in Corrientes, so I apologise in advance for you.



You need:
1 can of creamed corn
1 can, or 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn (or fresh if you can get it!)
1-2 large onions, diced
1 cube knor brand (it is the best, I am sorry for my brand promo) veggie stock
olive oil
4 cups milk
1 carrot, diced
1 large potato, cut into small cubes
1/2 a red pepper, diced
2-3 tablespoons of flour
salt
pepper

Bacon, cooked and cooled to garnish.

Please note the lack of celery.

I don´t know why soups are supposed to always have celery, celery is stringy and it has no taste and unless it is loaded with peanut butter, and I can lick the peanut butter off and throw the celery away, it is of no use at all. I don't know who it was that decided celery and soup are a heavenly match, but if you find out let me know and we will all toilet paper the poor fools house. The point is, I don't like celery, and you wont find it in my soup. Put it in if you must, I won't get too upset, just don't tell me about it, and cut it up really, really, really, small.

But, back to the soup. Take a little olive oil on the bottom of a nice big soup pan and add you onions, if you want you can cook the bacon first and then cook the onions in the bacon fat, this adds a little flavor, but a lot of fat so it is up to you. Once the onions are getting soft, 10 minutes perhaps, add the potato and the carrots, cook for about 10 more minutes and then add in the red pepper and the flour. Let this cook another 3 minutes and then add in slowly, your milk, you may want more or less, soup is not a science it is an art, and you can always add more later.

Add the stock, corn and salt and pepper and cook until the potato bits are soft and taste. It is very important to try soup out and make sure it doesn't need to be tweaked, more salt or pepper perhaps, or maybe more corn? How do you like it? Once it is perfect, ladle it into bowls and add bacon bits to the top. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT try to cook the bacon in the soup it will be wet, fatty and horrible and you will have to throw the soup away, even if you do cook the bacon first, you want to add this on the table so it is crisp and adds another dimension to your soup.

This soup is thick and hearty, with a lovely earthy flavor, and delicious served with some nice crusty bread.





10 comments:

The UNvirgin Mary said...

OHH Katy that looks soooo good! I'll have Adam take a look at it, hehehe. I also am a celery hater! I cant stand the stuff and cant understand our society's obcession with it in soup either. To me it tastes like watery stringy grass.... bleh! The only thing that its good for is losing weight if thats all you eat since its a 0 calorie food -- meaning it takes more energy to digest than it has in itself... Angie's translation: it has no nutirtional value so why eat it???

Anyway, I started laughing when I read that cuz Im soooo glad someone finally said it! I didnt know we had that in common either. Whats the worst is when people skip the peeanut butter and substitute it for cheese whiz!! ugh.. I think Im going to vomit... Good blog though Katy! What happened to your normal one????

Rorie said...

Clever girl! That soup looks amazing!

Katy said...

Lol thanks Rorie

Kalyn said...

Hi. Thanks for visiting my blog. Fun discovering your site. You're doing a great job with it.

jenjen said...

Your soup looks very conforting, I was just thinking to day how I wanted to make some soup. Now I think I might use your recipes to make some. Thanks!

jenjen said...

I meant comforting

Kate said...

Ah, i have found blog kin ship here - a fellow soup lover and celery hater! I'm a soup fiend and regret that it's getting hot so soup isn't so appealing...but your looks yummy! thanks!

bea at La tartine gourmande said...

Looks simply delicious! Love these soups!

Katy said...

Kalyn, thanks for stopping by! I have been admiring your blog for a while so it is nice to have little coments from you!

Kate, Well it is fall here in Corrientes Argentina, and as much as I would like to keep my posts en par with my more northernly neighbors sometimes a girl has to sucumb to those wintery callings. Horay for no celery though and thanks for saying hi!

Jenjen,, Thanks! You will have to let me know how it turns out.

Tanna said...

It's much to hot for soup here right now but that corn chowder really looks lush.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yours looks excellent.