Argentine Apple Cake

Marina quite often makes the most remarkable little cake when I come over. Her 4 boys and I have to fight over it, with that many people in a house it tends to be first come first serve, or rather stuff yourself now because there is no such thing as left overs!

Don´t tell but I have been know to eat as many as three pieces at a time, with ice cream!


The amazing part of the cake is not the soft, buttery cake itself but the layer of apples which when baked turned into a tangy compote with compliments the sweetness of the cake like nothing else. Marina serves it with a scoop of cool vanilla ice cream while the cake is still warm, though my advice is, if you have an ice cream maker, I would throw in some vanilla yogurt and have that instead, the tang of frozen yogurt blends beautifully with the apple compote and the crumbly sponge underneath and only takes about 15 minutes to whip up.



Argentine Apple Cake a la Marina

3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 cup milk

2 green apples

Whisk the butter until soft with the sugar. Add eggs 1 at a time, along with the lemon zest. Add in the milk. Whisk together all of the dry ingredients and then add slowly with the wet ingredients until only just mixed.

Spoon the cake batter into a buttered cake dish. Slice the apples very thinly and remove the skin. Toss with the lemon juice and then layer over the cake. Bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until the apple is golden and a knife inserted comes out clean.

7 comments:

familiaoconnell said...

I really enjoy your blog and LOVE this cake. You dont want to even know what things I have done to the basic batter. Just came back from a roadtrip to Corrientes and the Estero de Iberia. We love the campo but alas we are portenos....Take care.

Rorie said...

Katy, I don't know what to say this looks so delicious. Can I come and visit you and taste that cake?!! (I wish)

zingtrial said...

Hi Yum-Yum This looks indeed nice and delicious HMMMMM,Thanks for sharing .Wish you well

Katy said...

Familia OConnell, I am so happy you got a chance to take a road trip, I just got back from one around Corrientes! Thanks for stopping by and leaving such sweet comments :)

Rorie, Anytime you want!

zingtrial, thank you it is good though my rendition still cant stand up to the one that my mother in law makes!

ricardo said...

mmmmmm
i want it!

Melissa CookingDiva said...

Simplemente delicioso!!!
Un abrazo,
M

Lizzz said...

I too am from el estado de washington. i grew up in mt. vernon, lived in olympia for too long, and am now hashing it out in bue.

i am making the apple cake recipe now and am having some problems with the batter. It seems when I add the zest the butter and eggs seperate (they are fine until the zest is added). Have you run into this problem? I am thinking next time I will add the zest with the dry ingredients.