(Welcome! Chez Moi)

Wow I am a slacker. I have actually been cooking on occasion too. Law school is now in full swing, we are just embarking upon our 5th week as the UW Class of 2010. I try to maintain sanity. I do this in a few ways: 1) running with my little pup Marley 2) attempting to remember that someday I will earn enough money to open the dreamed tea shop/restaurant and 3) savoring food.

The last is getting harder. I live on my own now, and unless I feed my dog scraps I am the only one who gets to try the food. For a while this almost did me in, but I have realized that if I am to survive with my brain in tact through this law school adventure I have to remain true to myself. So I try to avoid eating peanut butter straight from the jar, and make Thai peanut curry instead, though sometimes the law school get-it-done-now in me wins out.

I have a class called Contorts, which is contracts and torts together is one, which is amazing and I thank my lucky stars I signed up for that class everyday. Civil procedure makes me want to gouge out my own eyes and serve them for a Halloween style feast, but I am getting- very, very slowly- though it (with the help of some very serious study guides, I am in love with Glannon for those of you in my boat). But here is the actual cooking-related news. My herb garden. I planted it in the first month I moved in, and it has since grown a bit since these pictures were taken but it is my serious pride and joy and will hopefully keep me happily fed throughout the winter as well. My poor basil plant however has a died a serious (but very yummy) death.

(Herb Garden with Rosemary, Thyme, Basil, Oregano, Parsley and Bay)

And for those of you interested in my apartment set up, on which I have spent most of my free time, here are a few more pictures. Here is the Kitchen:


For those of you with tips on how to keep up your hobbies while also keeping the dog fed, the bathroom clean, and the clothes washed, I would love to know. I suppose I will have to try to rely on this blog to keep me going a little more. Maybe if I force myself to cook, and to share it will you all, I will be able to keep myself happy though this long and arduous trek to the golden JD at the end of the rainbow.

4 comments:

Susan G said...

Congratulations on the beautiful apartment, beautiful jam and the new life!

Corinne said...

I went to law school as well, and was able to balance hobbies and cooking with schoolwork, but it wasn't easy. One tip: I used to volunteer to cook for my study group in exchange for some of the work. So they would do a lot of the outlining, and I would provide the nourishment for our weekly meetings. We all got through just fine. I love your blog. A question about the dulce de leche from a year ago: I heard that you can make ddl that is less sticky sweet...is that the result when you use milk? I was finishing around for recipe and that's how I found your blog. You might want to visit mine in your spare time (lol)

Katy said...

Thanks for the comments! I am trying to keep things better in perspective now by taking a few food-related classes on the side. And I am sorry but I am a little confused by your question, dulce de leche is made with milk, hence the name, I know some people use condensed milk but this is really not needed.

MysticGypsy said...

Glad you're back to the blog. Until reading your blog, I didn't know you could make dulce WITHOUT condensed milk. We used your recipe and made dulce de leche for friends, family and co-workers this Christmas. Hope you're enjoying law school.