At Long Last


Huzzah. After years and years of searching, at with a little help from you dear readers, I have finally got it. The Holiday dream of a young girl, now expressed (at the expense of my waist band), thats right, we have Lebkucken, otherwise known as Nuremberg Gingerbread, the German treat that's sent wafts from every bakery in Alsace, and has an unforgettable taste that even after 6 years away from France I still remember and long to recapture. Gingerbread is one of the first deserts in existence, perhaps that is why somewhere in my subconscious I long for the stuff with a primordial pull. The biggest glory for me was finally getting that glaze to work! My crowning achievement, and now I cant seem to remember why it was so difficult. The key is to make it very, very, very thick.


Lebkucken

½ cup honey
½ cup molasses
¾ cup Muscovado Sugar
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2¾ cups flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1½ teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup candied ginger (or citron if you can get it!)

In medium size saucepan, mix honey & molasses. Bring to a boil. Cool. Stir in brown sugar, eggs and lemon juice. Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg and add to honey/molasses mixture. Stir in ginger. Dip hands in powdered sugar to roll into balls, stick in the freezer a few mins to chill before baking, on buttered baking sheet at 400 degrees about 10-12 minutes.

Note about the Sugar:
Muscovado or Barbados sugar Muscovado sugar, a British specialty brown sugar, is very dark brown and has a particularly strong molasses flavor. The crystals are slightly coarser and stickier in texture than “regular” brown sugar. (From Sugar Association)
Since I am Half British, I went with this, but you could use brown sugar as a substitute.

Glaze: Milk+ Powdered sugar, key is to keep it REALLY thick! Paint it on with your finger.

(Baking the cookies with my Mum, the first batch, after that I figured out they needed to be a bit larger)

2 comments:

Jen said...

hi! i'm really excited to try this recipe as my family and i lived in germany when i was younger! i have a question though.. is it baking powder or baking soda that you need? (in the ingredients, you have powder, but in the directions, you have soda) thanks!!

Kate said...

Powder. Thanks for catching that!