Excuses and Christmas Cake

The truth is I actually do cook. Not that you would know that when you look at my decidedly forlorn little blog. No posts. No love. Really it is downright sad. What is worse is my serious desire to actually post, though you can't tell dear readers I honestly wish to be in communication with all of you.

The blame goes like this: It isn't my fault! It is my horrid, awful, no good, very bad digital camera. I have been taking photos with this brick of a thing which finally gave out on me and refuses to take even dim and foggy pictures. Perhaps I will have to move on to videos! There is
an idea.

Well, all is not entirely lost, sometimes I cook with other people. Other people with cameras. Can you imagine? It is true. And here are the pictures to prove it.



First ever royal icing! On a traditional british christmas cake. I have to say I am very much in to royal icing after having made it. I put it on over a cap of marzipan (which I made myself, and honestly really shouldn't have because you just can't grind the nuts as fine as they ought to be) but here is the recipe for fabulous royal icing, which gets just a little bit crunchier with each day the cake lasts. My mum says it reminds her of the crunch of snow.


Royal Icing:

2 Egg Whites

Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 teaspoons)

2 1/2 cups sifted icing sugar (i.e. powdered sugar)

Beat the egg whites with the lemon juice and slowly add the sugar in a little at a time. I use an electric mixer.



No comments: