Chilly Nights and Roasted Cauliflower

I love Seattle, really I do. After nearly two years of whining about the miserable heat of northern Argentina while camped out near the ParanĂ¡ River, I am now onto complaints about the cold. Here is the thing, I love the cold weather. Rain provides me the perfect excuse to sit around with my favorite things; cups of tea, slices of thick steaming bread from the oven, soup, and good books before a window open to the gray world. Maybe it is just one to many Jane Austin novels but I love the romance of winter.

But I didn't remember it being like this. I am in a state of chilly shock. I missed the bus and ended up a Katy-sicle on the bench waiting for the next arrival for nearly 30 minutes, my poor parsley is barely managing to get through the icy nights. Even my little dog snubs his morning run, afraid the frozen sidewalk may chill his princely paws.


I guess my memory failed me. Though perhaps it is just that sitting inside reading about President Truman's lawsuit in the 50's for Constitutional Law class is decidedly less romantic than cuddling up with hot cocoa. Ah well, this is why comfort food was created in the first place, and we might as well get the most out of it before spring comes along.

This is where the next recipe comes in. As a child my mum use to con my sister and I into eating veggies by steaming some broccoli and cauliflower, coating it in a sharp cheddar cheese sauce topping the thing with breadcrumbs and broiling it until the top is a lovely crunchy brown. This is the hight of comfort food. Cauliflower, when done correctly has a subtle nutty flavor, and while steaming is all very well and good, roasting is what brings this out best. This recipe takes advantage of that by adding in caramelized onions, coriander and curry making it the perfect winter side dish.

Roasted Curried Cauliflower


In a roasting pan combine the following:

1 onion roughly chopped
2 small heads of cauliflower divided into small florets
3 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoons coriander seed, ground
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil

Toss the mixture together with a fork until the onions and cauliflower are evenly coated and there are no clumps of spice anywhere. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. It is done when the onions are nice and soft, and the cauliflower when poked with a knife gives way easily.

3 comments:

adele said...

Ooh. I feel like I've got several cauliflower recipes on my to-do list. Would you serve this with fish?

Katy said...

This looks delicious -- and your dog is too cute!!! He's like, "please bring me back inside to eat some cauliflower..."

Katy said...

Adele: I think it really depends on the fish, if it was a thick and heavy sort of a fish like swordfish or salmon I could see that working out, but the cauliflower does have its own flavor so you would want to find something that can stand up to the curry flavor to pair it with, without being over powering. Some kind of fish cooked with almonds would be perfect!

Katy: Yes, my dog is really silly sometimes, and I sure that was absolutely spot on, he is so bad about begging!