Persuasion Pasta

You may or may not be aware, that I am a huge Jane Austen Fan. I have read ever book, seen every movie, and still can never get enough of that good old 19th century romantic period literature. Persuasion is by far my favorite of her novels, don't get me wrong, a girl can never say no to a healthy dose of Colin Firth in the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice, but there is something just so suspenseful about the telling of this novel.

Unfortunately for me the only movie (that I have seen) of this book is a worthless piece of rubbish that retells the whole story making the main character a sassy, take-no-prisoners brunette which makes you want to cry in pain. However, I retain my faith in the human race and am headed to the theatre this afternoon to watch Persuasion at the Seattle Center; which makes me only very slightly less excited than the cure for cancer, world peace and the creation of a 0 calorie full flavor creme brulee rolled into one. Obviously such sublime anticipation calls for pasta.

Angel Hair Pasta with Tiger Prawns

You have to be crazy to hate on a prawn. At least one that is properly cooked. The key to this dish is getting the prawns uncooked, if you go to the store or market and all they have is pink pre-cooked little monsters turn your back and run. I just get tiger prawns frozen, uncooked, from costco, but in the summer I often get a little bag full from Pikes Place Market to take home and have that night. But since the prawns don't have to stand alone in this pasta, I think the frozen are just fine.

Ingredients:
8 Cloves Garlic
Sea Salt
Pepper
2 Fresh, Ripe Tomatoes
1 teaspoon cream
Oregano
Thyme
6 Tiger Prawns
Olive Oil

First, what you want to do is put a splash of olive oil in a pan on medium heat and let that get nice and warm.

Then add the salt, pepper, garlic cut into slivers, and Tiger Prawns, once they are cooked on one side flip them over and add in the tomatoes, cream and herbs.
Cook the prawns a little more and then take them out, and let your sauce reduce a bit while you cook your pasta and shell your prawns.


Don't forget to add salt to the water while you cook your pasta, you can even add in the shells from your prawns which adds great flavor! Test the sauce and see if it needs more salt or pepper, then drain your pasta and toss with the sauce, and place the prawns on top of the whole thing for an aw-inspiring & delicious lunch in under 15 minutes.

3 comments:

adele said...

Mmm. I love a good prawn pasta, and this sounds very tasty. Unfortunately, the fruits my supermarket are trying to pass off as tomatoes are rock-hard red projectiles, so I think I'll bookmark this for tomato season. :)

Katy said...

that looks incredible -- and i love angel hair more than any other long pasta (spaghetti, linguine, etc!)!

adele said...

Hello! Just thought I'd stop by, leave a note, and make sure you hadn't been eaten alive by law school. Hope all is well. :)