Road Trip into the Sun

Messy, that has been my life for the last month. Going through a quagmire of personal issues, and law school finals has left me feeling a little dazed and confused. But now the world looks better, there isn't a test left in sight, and I am heading into the sun. We are off San Fransisco for spring break! This little trip could not have come a better time and I am feeling full of renewed energy for the coming quarter, a new page in the book of Katy I suppose. Obviously, this calls for lemon tarts.

There is something about a lemon tart, the perfect balance of tart and tangy with the sweet and cream texture that just gets to you. They are so fast and easy and they make it look as though you spent all day in the kitchen.

Tart Dough: Click Here, you just make one recipe of the tart dough for 6 mini tarts. You will want to time it so these are coming out of the oven warm at the time your lemon curd is ready. I fill mine with baking beads to help the shape and allow for even cooking.


Lemon Tart Filling based on the recipe from The Baking Institute:
7 large egg yolks, plus 2 eggs
1 cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
2/3 cup juice plus 1/2 cup grated zest from 4-5 medium lemons
1/2 a stick of butter
1/4 cup cream

In a bain-marie (a bowl put over a small pan of simmering water) mix eggs & sugar until combined and then add in the lemon bits. With the water simmering, add in the butter and mix until the curd thickens to a thin-sauce like consistency. Take off the heat, add the cream and pour into your tart shells. Put them back in the oven and bake another 10ish minutes until the center is shiny and opaque and the tarts don't have too much wiggle to them. Then comes the hard part, letting them cool off enough to top with a little whipped cream before serving.

12 comments:

adele said...

You're back! Hooray!

And these tarts look fantastic. :)

Katy said...

those are so cute!!! good luck with the last quarter -- do you know what you're doing for the summer yet?

Amy said...

Hi, I was looking for Seattle blogs and came across your blog. I just wanted to tell you that I love looking at all your beautiful food pictures!! I don't know if I have the patience to make my own dough but if I ever get really motivated I'll try to make those lemon tarts, they look so good!

los milanga said...

mm... limon, mucho mejor que el pomelo :P

Giorgio said...

Wow...those cakes look FNTASTIC!!!!...We can organize a Super Meeting and eat all or...why not...open a great Restaurant...I'll be the tester! :o)) Greetings from Italy/Argentina and...congratulations for your very nice and....yummy blog :o)

Steph said...

Mini tarts are the best! I love how you decorated them, simple but elegant.

Juan said...

Did you know that mini tarts are consider like the national dessert from norway?

have a look at the link!
http://www.norway-hei.com/sandbakels-sandkake.html

cheers from argentina!

why did you come down under for? did yo have a good time?

jj said...

Those sound rich, but oh so good and I love the way you made them up!

Alisha said...

Hi,

I wanted to write to you, but couldn't find your email, so thought I'd leave a comment instead. We at Wowzio have build some beautiful and engaging widgets for your blog.
These pull up content, images & user-activity from your blog automatically, auto update, and are free of charge. Please take a look at the "Panoramic Slideshow", "Live Activity" and "Feed Content" widget for your blog at
See Wowzio Widgets for Your Blog

I apologize for having to leave a comment, please note it is not my intent to spam you.

Thx-Alisha
alisha.wright1@gmail.com

Alexa said...

Lovely presentation. These look wonderful. Have a fun trip!

Anonymous said...

These tarts look awesome. You know what is also very tasty is this same idea but lime instead of lemon. I like your blog and all the reviews of different foods you have experienced. You should check out this new travel site I found, baraaza.com/ You can review destinations, upload pics and get info for your next trip. I think you might like it.

Nicole

cruz said...

Wow,its really nice,thanx dear for sharing ypur reciepe
=========
SEO projects