Fall Comfort

It is honestly fall now. The leaves have gone from a shady green to flaming red, and I have had to pull out the dusty sweaters from under my bed for actual use. As many around me begin to moan about the approach of winter,

I have been assuaging any chilly negative thoughts with giant baskets of autumn harvest. Great heaping mounds of apples and pears from my parent's house on Vashon Island, squash from the University Saturday Market, and plenty of free time to culinary-brainstorm while sitting in law school lectures have brought about the collimation of some cheering fall dishes to keep your body warm and your mind pleasantly enough occupied so as to release those thoughs of winter.


Butternut Squash and Pear Soup:
Here is an adorable little soup, cozy and comforting for fall with just a hint of sweetness

1 Medium Butternut Squash, cubed
1 onion, chipped
2 pears, cored and chopped
5 cups Chicken Stock (enough to cover the squash)
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon butter
salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add in chopped onion, stirring until transparent. Add cubed squash and pear and cook for about 5 minutes, stiring, then add in stock until it covers the top of the mixture. Cook until the squash and pear are soft, then puree in a blender. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

adele said...

I'm always on the lookout for new and unusual squash soups. I might try this one if I can find decent pears at the market.

eleonora said...

Your blog is super. So are your photographies. They make me hungry. I have spent a nice moment when seeing them. Thanks a lot.