Well the paper is almost done...

So, any time I need to sit down to write a paper, this is what usually happens. First I clean my apartment, because honestly, who can write when it is messy? That gives me at least 30 minutes of procrastination time. And then I cook something, preferably something that makes me get up to stir thus leaving my computer. This recipe doesn't actually need to be stirred all the way through, but it still takes up some good time, and you can stir for good measure anyway. It isn't really the writing so much that gets to me, as the editing. You know you have made it when you can finally afford someone to do all that miserable stuff for you. Unless I either regress however to been 14 and somehow conning my parents into re-reading my papers, or jet forward in time until I am a multi-millionaire (ha, ha, someday right?) I am stuck with the everyday tried and true procrastination technique of chili making.

There are actually some legitimately very good reasons to make this chili. (1) By using dried beans you save money and make your whole place smell nice for ages while it cooks. (2) You will look like a fantastic domestic-goddess and/ or mega-cooking-stud for cooking your own chili from scratch. (3) It has turkey instead of beef, which fits in with all those new years’ resolutions. (4) It tastes good. (5) it tastes good, AND it is made with beer, so you get to taste test while cooking just to make sure the brew hasn't, you know, gone off or anything. (6) Beans have fiber. Oh yes! So it is ALMOST like by eating this chili you are in fact giving your body a little pre-valentines day gift. For those interested here is a lovely quote from the central bean co website!

"Today, beans are recognized by many health-related groups, including the American Heart Association, the American Cancer Society and the American Diabetes Association as an extremely beneficial addition to most diets. That’s because they’re high in complex carbohydrates, protein and dietary fiber, low in fat and sodium, and completely cholesterol-free. It’s long been recognized that increasing the fiber content in our diets promotes a healthy digestive tract and reduces the risk of many types of cancer. And fiber also plays a significant role in lowering high blood cholesterol rates, one of the main risk factors for the development of cardiovascular disease. Beans are one of the best sources of fiber available, and they’re an excellent source of protein as well. In fact, a one pound can of beans contains more protein than a pint of milk, yet ounce for ounce, fewer calories and fat than eggs, meat or cottage cheese. "

WOW! That is amazing, doesn't it make you want to eat chili now?


Beer & Turkey Chili with Corn Bread

  • 1 cup dried black beans
  • 1 cup dried kidney beans
  • 3 small onions, chopped
  • 8-10 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons oregano
  • 2 cans of stewed tomatoes plus juice
  • 1 can corn or 2 cups frozen corn if you have it on hand
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 bottle of bear
  • 3 teaspoons beef base (or use stock instead of water, or 2knor beef bullion cubes)
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • hot sauce to taste
  • Cheddar Cheese to top- I use Tillamook Special Reserve White

First take the beans and put them into a bowl with a good 6 cups of water on top and stick them in the fridge overnight. Soaking the beans overnight I find the easiest way, though there is a speed-up way of cooking them, draining the water letting them be in the fridge for a while and then re-cooking them but this sounds like a lot of fuss and washing up.



The next day when you are ready to go, put the bowl under a running tap until all the water in the bowl is clear- then just pour it in. I would estimate about 4-6 cups, it is all going to bowl off anyway so it really doesn’t matter, it depends on how high a temperature you are planning to cool the beans on. You need enough water to cook them, over several hours so you will want a bit. Pour the beans and water into a big pot.

Add the onions, garlic (I know it sounds like a lot but after hours of cooking it won’t taste like it), beer, and everything else except the turkey. Cook on medium for as long as it takes to get soft beans, 3-4 hours. This is a long process, but if you get it going you don't need to sit around stirring it just clamp a lid on until most of the liquid is gone and then come back and turn it up and stir until the rest is gone.

In a separate pan, brown your turkey meat in a little olive oil and once it is browned, add it into the chili, top with cheese, and serve.

I like to serve it with corn bread, - here is my favorite recipe. Because the cornbread takes 25 minutes to cook it is a good idea to get this in the oven and then start in on your turkey browning.

Also, if the people you feed are anything like the people I do, you are going to need a few extra bottles of that beer you used to help them wash it all down. At the moment I am on a Manny's kick, a local Seattle brew, made by Georgetown with a fantastic malty-but-not-too-malty taste.

8 comments:

adele said...

Chili with beer? Count me in!

I hear you on the paper-editing. I hate writing/editing papers so much, I put off fulfilling my writing requirement until next year.

Katy said...

Uh. tell me about it, I just finished this huge brief and now it is on to doing my writing requirement without so much as a pause. I will be a very happy girl on graduation day.

Angelica said...

Katy, I love your site! I have been looking at it off and on for about a year and have made a couple different recipes. I REALLY love the argentine apple cake in particular, though. MMM!

And you are a very entertaining writer.

Thank you, thank you!
Oh, and I am making this chili this week!

Katy said...

Angelica,

Thanks so much! Your comment really made my day I am glad there is someone out there actually trying my recipes, that is wonderful.

Here is just a little tip for the chili, the spice amounts are estimates since I don't really measure while I am cooking, and you will probably want to add a little more. Let me know how it turns out for you and happy cooking :)

Premium T. said...

This sounds like a great chili recipe. I am intrigued by the addition of nutmeg....I already add cinnamon to mine. I'm going to have to give this a try!

Katy said...

Oh yes, I am obsessed with nutmeg. It makes everything better, I put it into almost all my sauces as well, just a pinch, in white sauce, spaghetti, you name it. It is a little like adding the lemon or vinegar, it isn't like you want to add a new taste but it adds depth of flavor.

kathlene said...

I just found your blog, obviously, because I'm doing random internet searches when I should be writing an immunology paper :-D I made myself leave the apartment messy, that would have taken too much time away from the paper. I am proud of that accomplishment.

Anyway, that chili looks really good, once I'm done with this *should be banned by the Geneva convention*, torturous task of writing this paper, I will try your recipe!

Cheers!

Joseph said...

I will speed up the process of cooking the beans by boiling the dry beans in a steamer for an hour, lifting out the steamer basket, draining the water and simmering a few more hours... or place in slow cooker over night.

GREAT recipe!