Local Eggs


 I have been trying to eat healthier, with mixed success. I tend to go in week long shifts; eating well and my days with wild rice and salmon but then disaster strikes with weekends full of hash browns and whiskey spiked apple cider. All in all I am doing better, I am certainly shopping smarter. I can't afford all organic, but I do go organic on veggies highest in pesticides like lettuce and broccoli. I am also going for brands (when I can) that don't use growth hormones on their animals or antibiotic laden feed. This is much harder than it sounds, particularly given that the only grocery store around here that has an organic section is Fred Myers.


 The farmers market is unfortunately over (it gets too cold here), and many of the farm shops that sell organic are a ways out of town. But a new shop has just opened here that sells a nice mix, it is called Mikes Meat and Farmers Market and they sell lots of local grown goodness including those beautiful free range eggs! Until I buy a house, I am stuck buying my eggs rather than raising my own chickens (which is just a matter of time!) For anyone who still hasn't tried local, free range eggs you really should. I suggest frying one up next to a store bought one and trying the difference because it really doesn't even seem like the same food!


These eggs come from Mason, a town near here and are called "Happy Hen Natural Eggs"; they have a yolk that is near orange and the are unbelievable fresh. For breakfast I made a high protein little scramble that goes a little something like this:


2 eggs
1 egg white
1/4 cup chopped turkey breast
2 tablespoons chopped basil
1-2 slices of tomato chopped
a little salt
1 slice of bread (I used Dave's Killer Bread, the Good Seed Light variety)


This is dead easy to make, just scramble the eggs and add the bits in then put it on the toasted bread. It is a fabulous and filling breakfast with just 256 calories but packing 25 grams of protein! And get this; 


"Eggs are exceptionally high-quality protein. In fact, the only source of protein higher in quality than eggs is a mother’s breast milk. Amino acids are the building blocks for proteins in our body, and eggs contain all nine of the essential amino acids—the ones our bodies cannot produce." (from sparkpeople.com)

2 comments:

adele said...

Hooray for local eggs!

I don't do hot breakfast when I'm in a hurry in the mornings, but I do like fried eggs with toast on days when I sleep in. :)

Clarita said...

Happy new year to you and each of your readers!