Mum's Granola

My Mum loves ginger. She is slightly obsessed. Which why, when it comes to producing a gift, ginger granola popped in to mind. I have been wanting to try out homemade granola for a while now, and this was perfect; she loves fruit with yogurt for breakfast during the summer months and a little splash of spicy grains would go perfectly with it. Granola is dead easy, you just need a mix of nuts and cereals that you wet down with a little oil (in this case butter) you bake and bang- granola. You can add in anything you want, toasted coconut, sesame seeds, rye, anything you can find at the store. I happen to just have a huge Costco bag of almonds, so I went heavy on those.



Ginger Almond Granola
4 cups oats
1/2 cup flax seed
1 cup raw wheat germ
1 cup almonds roughly chopped
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cardamon
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick butter, melted
3/4 cup honey

1/2 cup currants
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup crystallized ginger

Mix everything together except for the fruit and bake on a baking sheet at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Let it cool slightly, and then mix in the dried fruit. Store in an airtight container.

6 comments:

mica said...

ginger & almond granola sounds so attractive! love almonds and like ur mum, absolutely adore ginger! thanks for sharing the recipe, will love to try it out over the summer, or when i'm done with my exam essays :D

p.s. did u know that Origins has savoury ginger body wash, body scrub & body souffle? the body wash & scrub are awesome! ur mum might love it!

pictures here: http://babylovebabylove.blogspot.com/2010/09/crabtree-evelyn-rose-water-hand-creme.html


love, mica
http://babylovebabylove.blogspot.com

sweetersalt said...

Yum! I love crystallized ginger, sometimes I eat it as candy! Oh, and dipped in chocolate - pretty awesome.

Laura

Joanne said...

I'm a ginger fanatic as well, so I'm sure I would adore this granola...especially if I got it as a gift! Such a sweet thing to make for your mom!

Andrea @ Fork Fingers Chopsticks said...

What intrigues me most in this granola recipe is the cardamom. As much as I'm a ginger fiend, I am also a huge cardamom fan.

Lovely blog. Thanks for visiting my site.

DessertForTwo said...

Yum! I love ginger-y things too! :)

Roberto said...

Ooh, yum Mum! Sounds like I have an unscheduled trip to the shops coming up, tomorrow.
Tx, Kate.
Cheers,
Bob